Monday, April 26, 2010

Muse Interuptus

Today's Horoscope for Taurus (moi)
You might feel as if you have hit a creative block and you may be tempted to shake up your life to see if that helps. But you won't likely be happy if things become less stable than they already are now. Instead of seeking answers on the outside, consider what you can do to alter your perspective. Clearing out the cobwebs from the attics of your mind may be just the catalyst you need.

Here it is, another Monday. Another new starting point. That's how I view Monday. It's my excuse for not doing anything creative over the weekend. "I'll start Monday. I'm fresh on Monday."

Oh please! Who am I kidding? I'm as stale as Friday, when my excuse for non-creativity came in the form of a mop and vacuum cleaner.

I'm mad! I can't take it anymore! Last Monday I actually wrote three new pages. And I remember saying to myself, "Self, three pages today; three more tomorrow. Piece of cake."

And one week later I have three pages. No more. No less. Outside my window I hear my mood, dark, drippy and dreary. It's otherwise a perfect day for curling up with a book, which I won't do because it's a cruel reminder of what I'm not doing.

I believe what's worse than not writing is the guilty association. What sort of loser am I? I call myself a writer? Seriously? Why have I lost the mood? Why isn't there a little blue pill for what ails me? The magic came. The magic went. The next time it comes, I'm cutting its wings (my muse is immortal, although a bit dead lately).

Alas. I'll rely on the horoscope de jour's suggestions. Relax. Focus. Meditate. Say a little prayer for me. Tomorrow is another day.

Does your muse have wings?

4 comments:

Edie Ramer said...

There's a 100x100 group that a lot of writers I know belong to. The object is to write at least 100 words for 100 days in a row. I think they report in every day. I hear it's very motivating.

If you'd like to join, email me and I'll find out the information.

Kath Calarco said...

Edie, I can always count on you having a finger on the pulse of motivation. The 100x100 sounds exactly like a tool I can use. (Expect an email.)

Robin said...

It's a new Monday and I'm sending good vibes your way! I think Edie's suggestion is a really good one. I've heard about that too. You can do 100 words, Kath - you absolutely can.

Kath Calarco said...

Binx, I joined the group Edie suggested (she is my secret angel). Although I haven't written since last Tuesday (company came Wed. and left yesterday), tomorrow is a brand new day.

I'm feeling pretty confident. Thanks to my cyber-pals, I can't lose!