Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Dare You!

A really, really good cyber-friend gave me this link. I've made it my home page. The object is to curb my appetite for cyber-surfing while steering my focus immediately to writing. (If you don't feel like looking at the link, it's a page with a blank timed "tablet." As soon as the page opens the timer immediately begins with five minutes. You free-write in the blank tablet. No pondering allowed!)

It's a great way to warm up the exercise muscle, and an extraordinary device that challenges the inner critic. In an attempt to amaze myself, I've created a new blog for their safe keeping, a sort of cyber-journal.

Care to take on the challenge? Then check out the link in the first paragraph of this post. Remember, it's not about thinking. It's about free-writing.

6 comments:

Edie Ramer said...

I'm glad this works for you. I'll pass on the challenge. I'm re-reading an old book right now.

Kath Calarco said...

Edie, buck-buck-buck... Just kidding! :)

What's ya readin'?

Spy Scribbler said...

I'm behind in Google Reader, lol. I just did it today! My stuff is just gunk, LOL, usually the same old brainstorming for my WIP. But it feels good!

Kath Calarco said...

Natasha, I've been prompting myself (sort of like my eng. lit. prof used to do). For me the five minute sprint helps unblock and open up for any kind of writing.

I'm having so much fun with it!

Robin said...

Excellent, Kath! I'm seriously thinking about doing SocNoc (the New Zealand version of Nano that goes from June 1 - June 30) and committing to writing 50,000 words for the month of June. Challenges like this really get my butt in gear and now that I'm done with school, I *really* want to write a lot and finish my current wip.

Happy writing!

Kath Calarco said...

Robin, that sounds like a herculean challenge, with it being June and all. You go!!! They really work! I'm in a group right now wherein we commit to writing 100 words per day for 100 days. It's kept me connected to the story, but wish there were a way to stop the nausea. ;-)